IKEA 3D Printer Enclosure Hack

Inspired by the 3d printer enclosure here: https://blog.prusaprinters.org/cheap-simple-3d-printer-enclosure_7785/, I tried to construct by own out of two extra LACK tables that I had sitting unused.

I first secured the two tables on top of each other with four dowels drilled into the top of the bottom table and the legs of the top table. The holes were carefully measured on the surface and legs to make sure they line up, then secured with plenty of wood glue and weights.

Once the two IKEA tables were secured, three plexiglass sheets were cut and secured to each side with two small hinges each. For each hinge, two holes were drilled in the plexiglass and secured with small machine screws and nuts, while the hinges were secured to the enclosure with small wood screws. The plexiglass was cut by running a utility knife over the cut line and then cracking it on a table edge. I was a little hasty in trying to crack the front piece, leading to a very jagged edge that had to be further cut down with a Dremmel.

The next problem I encountered was the size of my 3d printer, an original Printrbot LC. Under full operation, the bed extends beyond the edge of the table, so I could not enclose the last side with the same plexiglass. To overcome this, I used some scrap plywood to make a 5 sided box to attach to the back.

The box was then attached to the back of the enclosure on the top with two L brackets, and on the bottom with the Linnmon connecting hardware from IKEA that I had extra.

The power supply for the printer was then attached to the legs and the bottom with left over wall mounting brackets from other IKEA pieces and a large hole was drilled into the bottom to feed the wires through.

To finish the case, I wanted to add an exhaust fan and handles to the doors. I harvested a CPU fan from an old PC and drilled enough holes into the back to secure it and let airflow through.

To finish off the build with handles for the doors, I grabbed some other handles from the used parts bin at IKEA and fixed them with screws with a washer magnet threaded onto each. On the opposite side of each handle, I attached two screws with several nuts threaded on each, giving each handle a magnetic seal.

The final result:

Overall, it was a pretty rough build, but really the only parts I needed to source were the plexiglass and hinges. And after almost 8 years, my Printrbot is still going strong.

%d bloggers like this: